Garage Living | Blog
Have you ever wanted a dream garage, a space you can call your own that is unlike any other? If so, we strongly urge you to get in touch. At Garage Living, we know everyone’s needs are different. That is why we essentially present our customers with a blank slate when it comes to the design and installation process. Our consultants are highly trained and all have that creative spark needed to transform any old drab garage space into a functional and stylish unit. The best part about it is you have full control over the direction of the design. Our staff will be there to guide you every step of the way, but you will never feel pressured to choose a theme that doesn’t mesh with your personal taste.
Experience the Garage Living Standard
From simple and basic to over the top, we have done it all. Since the majority of our clients have no idea where to start when it comes to cleaning/organizing their garage, we have setup a number of themes in our showroom gallery. Keep in mind that these templates are replicas of actual jobs we have worked on. We have received a lot of praise from our clients, as it allows them to see what we can really do. You can have the exact setup in your garage and/or customize any way you want. Since they are templates, our famous gallery themes (The Bright & Clean Garage, The Auto Enthusiast, The Active Gardener and The Sports Fan) help to pinpoint client interests. After all, you’re the only one who knows what you want. Thus, consider these themes a helpful starting point, but just remember that we literally have hundreds of accessories to choose from.
Accessories Worth Checking out
- Cabinetry; At Garage Living, we carry a full range of wall-mountable cabinets. Our GL Signature and GL Premium lines offer incredible storage space and are very stylish. The best part of all is that you can have your cabinets installed as an either free standing or fitted system.
- Flooring; our Rhino Floortex Coating is some of the best around. We guarantee that you won’t be disappointed with this product. It really is built to last and offers numerous benefits over concrete. If you want to experience the ultimate garage floor, this is the way to go.
- Overhead storage; by far the best bang for your buck, our overhead storage systems can be fully customized to meet your needs. With the ability to hold up to 600 pounds and with an adjustable height ranging to nearly four feet, you will have no problems placing even the largest items off the ground.
- Car Lifts; our four post lifts are great for maximizing the available space in your garage. They can be installed anywhere and cost far less than the price of a building remodel.
If you want to relax in style and simply escape for a few hours, watching television in your decked out garage is the perfect way to do so. Many people dream of having a flat panel display with a custom surround sound speaker setup (honestly who doesn’t). If this is a project you may be interested in, just know that it is easily doable. Installing a TV is by no means a complex task, but it does require a little bit of know-how to get right. Creating a functional entertainment space that still offers you plenty of room to get things done in the garage can be tricky, but that is where the art of creativity comes into play.
Relax and take a deep breath, and be prepared for hours of entertainment. With summer just around the corner, being able to grill out and watch your favorite shows is a must-have. Whether you are looking for a simple system or a complete garage makeover, here are some tips for helping you watch the game in style!
How to Install a TV in a Garage Without Fail
- Keep it wall-mounted; the trick to maximizing the available space in your garage is to keep as much stuff off the ground as possible. Unlike the living or family room in your house, a garage is not the best place for a grand entertainment center. By mounting the TV on the wall and keeping your accessory electronics up high, you will have plenty of room to move around. You can easily mount a 50” flat panel without having to worry about space restrictions.
- Make sure your garage is suitable for installation; electronics and extreme temperatures (hot or cold) don’t mix well, not to mention the damaging effects moisture can have. You will need to make sure your garage is insulated well before installing a television in it. Since Canadian winters tend to get pretty cold, a heated space is a must-have. The last thing you want is to be surprised when you go to turn on your TV, only to find that it won’t. Save the time, money and hassle by ensuring your garage is TV-ready. At Garage Living, we can help make this happen.
- Draw up a wiring diagram beforehand for surround sound; knowing how and where to run the wires for speakers will make the job go by much faster. Having a clear idea of where you want the TV area to be will keep you from running into any unexpected setbacks.
- Allocate room for seating; if you plan on having a designated seating space, don’t forget to take into account the space of the garage. Choosing smaller furniture options such as a loveseat and recliner vs. an oversized sectional is typically a better move, unless of course you have the available space.
Spring is finally here! You know what that means; before you start jumping with joy and busting out your summer gear, knowing what to do with your winter clothing and items are important. Don’t get lazy and simply throw them in the basement or out in the garage unprepared. It may be tempting to do exactly this, but remember that in a few months you will need to get them out again. There are a few tips you can use to ensure everything stays organized and protected. For instance, it is not wise to put motorized equipment (e.g. snow blowers and snow mobiles) away without first making sure they are serviced and maintained. Take the time to clean and inspect anything you intend on storing. As experts in garage organization, we at Garage Living know what it takes to keep a space organized and free from clutter. Here are some helpful tips for ensuring your winter gear stays in top notch shape for the summer.
How to store your winter gear
- Organize the right way; make sure you have enough boxes available and don’t forget to label them. There is nothing more frustrating than spending hours trying to find something (e.g. Christmas lights, winter coats, etc.). That being said, instead of stacking totes on top of one another, invest in an overhead storage system to free up space. This will give you plenty of room for entertaining in the summer vs. forcing you to wade through a mass of clutter and debris.
- Give mechanical devices a tune-up; just because you’re putting the snow blower away for the summer doesn’t mean you shouldn’t change the oil. The same logic goes for maintaining lawn mowers and other summer gear in the winter. Failing to perform this simple task can cause the engine to potentially seize up, which is not something you want to have happen. In addition, thoroughly washing and drying this equipment will prevent corrosion caused by rust.
- Wrap fragile items in bubble wrap and packing paper; to keep your decorative household items from breaking, never put them in a box or tote without first covering them up.
- Be safe; if you have to stack boxes, make sure to put the lighter items on top. Also, remember to clearly mark which direction the box should be facing.
- Keep your clothes clean with cedar or lavender; these chemicals are natural pest-deterrents and will keep your clothing fresh and keep rodents at bay.
- Get rid of what you don’t need; spring is the perfect opportunity to go through unused items or clothes that don’t fit. Why not make some money while you’re at it by having a garage sale? Most people don’t realize just how much junk they acquire over the years, and this is what gets them into trouble when it comes to organizing.
If you are planning on selling your home in the near future, chances are you have probably already made a list of home improvement projects you intend to tackle. Many homeowners tend to focus on key areas like kitchens and bathrooms, and for good reason. These rooms are high selling points; any real estate agent will tell you to make these spaces a priority. One area that people too often neglect is the garage. It may come as a surprise, but a finished garage can actually have an impact on your home’s equity and market value. Why? Well, the times have changed and these spaces are no longer considered trivial. Most people want to have enough room to park their vehicles and for storage purposes.
Read the rest of this entry »
When it comes to having your garage organized, you want to work with someone who has a successful track record. At Garage Living, our list of 3,000 (and growing) satisfied clients more than speaks for itself. In our line of work, mistakes are reflective of poor customer service and sub-par craftsmanship. In this economy, we know it can be easy to want to do jobs like these alone instead of hiring a contractor. After all, how hard can it be to clean up a garage? This is not the mindset you want to adopt, however, at least if you want to see the project through to the end. At Garage Living, cleaning your garage is just one small part of what we do. We cater to customers that want the ultimate garage experience. From auto enthusiasts to gardening lovers to neat freaks, knowing how to meet the demands of a diverse client base is what we are all about. From the floor to the ceiling, our team works hard to custom design and install exactly what our customers want. That being said, our experience gives us an edge over our competition in that it has allowed us to encounter every possible problem that can come about when organizing a garage.
Read the rest of this entry »
At Garage Living, we offer a number of specialized services to our clients. While garage organization encapsulates what we do, there are many specific components of this that we like to stress to new customers. It is important to remember that every project is different and will require a unique design consultation to complete successfully. To make the process easier, we have setup a few custom garage themes in our showroom, as we have found these represent a bulk of our customers’ interests. Interestingly enough, many people don’t realize this until they get a view of the gallery. Our Sports Fan, Active Gardener, Auto Enthusiast and Bright & Clean Garage templates illustrate all of our specialized services.
Read the rest of this entry »
Good Morning Daniel,
Just writing you a note of appreciation on a job well done! I would like to express to you and your staff what a overwhelming experience it was to work with Garage Living in the transformation of our garage makeover. Your courteous and professional service that you provided from the moment of our contact initial to the beginning house call, to design and then finally to installation in less than a week was amazing.
The experience began with a phone call to your business in which I was inquiring if Garage Living offered its services to the East Kingston area as I wanted to surprise my husband with a garage renovation for his 50th birthday as he has been talking about the idea for years. I thought it was a shot in the dark given the distance away from your Vaughan showroom which was a total shock when you said you could be out there the next day.
The in home consultation, which I must say was a good five hour drive through a snowstorm was a very detailed and well explained from the start of the project to the finished product, which would included your Rhino Floortex coating, Garage Living Premium Cabinetry and the PVC wall organizing panels. The final design was emailed to myself within 24 hours of the consultation and the project was in place to begin the following week. I was also e-mailed a very detailed time table schedule of exactly what time the Garage Living installation team would arrive each day and what task would be handled on that day.
This was very important to me as this entire project was planned to be a total surprise for my husband while we were both away on business during the week of the installation in which my 21 year old daughter was left to oversee the work. Being a surprise, Daniel ensured that every detail was handled on his end to ensure it was a true turn-key experience which gave me the comfort to have the project done in my absence. Everything was handled, even removing and storing all my belongings during the process and re-organizing everything onto the slatwall once complete. The extra detail and efficient service was maintained throughout the whole process.
The makeover was completed and I must say we were absolutely overwhelmed with happiness when both my husband and I arrived home to a newly renovated garage. My husband was thrilled! Garage Living definitely delivered the WOW factor that I was looking for in this type of spontaneous purchase for my husband. I again want to express my appreciation for a wonderful job, and I thank you!
Regards, Kathy S.
If you have a garage that needs organization, don’t hesitate to contact one of our team members at Garage Living. There is more than one reason for our outstanding reputation; being Toronto’s largest custom garage flooring and organization company is not an easy title to maintain. It has required plenty of hard work and dedication, factors which have been instrumental in our ability to successfully serve thousands of customers. Many of our clients have asked what separates us from our competition. What makes Garage Living different, and why should you choose us? We are glad you asked, and are more than happy to say that the Garage Living standard is simply unmatched. From a highly skilled team of trained experts to quality products and excellent customer service, we sincerely believe our company has what it takes to meet your needs. Organizing a garage may seem like a simple job, but our staff knows that this is far from the truth. We have tackled plenty of projects, small and large, and the one thing that can be said with certainty is that matching a customer’s unique style is challenging.
Read the rest of this entry »
Many people opt to store their car during the winter months as a way to avoid potential damage that can be caused during this season. Whatever your reason for winter storage, there are is a certain process that takes place to ensure that your car is completely prepared for being stored for several months.
Before you place your car in storage, it is important that you clean it entirely. This will help to prevent mold and mildew. While things such as the engine and batter are important, just as important is the interior and exterior. A clean car has a much better chance of coming out of storage undamaged than a dirty one.
If you are keeping your car inside your garage you probably do not have to worry about rodents, however, if you have a pet door that leads from your garage you may want to include some repellent to avoid the possibility of damage by rodents.
If possible, you should make sure the basics are covered on the car before putting it in storage. You should double check things like the tires, oil, and gas are all filled properly. You may want consider putting your car on blocks to help protect your tires. It is important that your car have fresh fluids like brake and steering fluid. You should also change out your filters. You should do these no more than two weeks prior to storage to make sure that the fluids are as fresh as possible.
It is important that the location that if you are storing your car in your garage that the area is dry and dark. This will protect the car from erosion, rust, and sun damage. Yes, the sun does appear sporadically even during the harshest winters!
You should close off the vents to the air conditioner. This protects your car from insects and moist air that could damage your car. If your car is constantly in contact with insects and damp air, this could greatly affect erosion and even damage to the interior of your car. If at all possible, you should put a cover over your car. This will go a step further in protecting your car from bugs, air, or even accident scratching.
There are other things to remember like insurance and registration. The guidelines for these vary from state to state so it is important to know your state’s policy on these things when putting your car in storage.
While you may have heard that cars in storage can have problems because of being inactive for a period of time, this can be avoided if you take a few precautions to make sure that your car is completely prepared to not be driven for a few months. If you take the time to make sure that your car is in good shape before storage, you will have nothing to worry about when you are ready to drive it again.
As the season is changing, many people are dreading the annual summer storage that may seem like a never ending event. While storing your summer items is certainly a task, it doesn’t have to be a difficult one. There are some things you can do to make the process more effective and enjoyable. Here are a few tips that will make this process so simple that you will be done before you know it!
Pack It Right
Packing is a critical part of storing summer items. It is important to put items that are similar together to avoid confusion when searching for them later. For instance, you won’t want to pack away summer clothes with outdoor toys. It is also helpful to label your packed items for easy location. Packing it right the first time will make for a much easier unpack later.
Stack it Right
Just as important as packing your items, is stacking the storage units correctly. Whether you are using boxes, bins, or totes, you should stack your items in a manner that is safe and space saving. It is important to make sure that your labels are readable so you are certain of what is what. It is also important to properly seal the lids of the containers so nothing is damaged once it is stacked.
Use your Storage
It is critical that you are utilizing all of your storage space. Many people have overhead storage, wall storage, and cabinetry. You will want to make sure you are putting items in places that are best suited for their size and weight. For example, you will want to store larger items in overhead storage securely rather than attempting to hang it from wall storage.
The great thing about moving your stuff to summer storage is that now is a great time for you to go through your things before storing them. Perhaps your children have grown out of the summer clothes or have large play equipment that they are too old to play with. This is a great time to donate some things to save you some much needed space.
Get Into It
One of the best things you can during the process of summer storage is really get into it. You can even have fun with making creative labels, going through your belongings, and enjoying a clutter-free home. This is a great activity for families to get involved in because everybody can participate. While moving things to summer storage may not be the most thrilling thing in the world, you can make it a fun process by lightening the mood.
These tips will make moving your stuff to summer storage a little easier and maybe even a little more fun. The great thing to remember is that you are taking the right steps to save yourself time when you look for these things next summer. You will be patting yourself on the back later for doing things the right way the first time.